Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Wit of C.S. Lewis


The Horse and His Boy: A Story for Children
by C.S. Lewis

“Aravis also had many quarrels
(and, I'm afraid even fights) with Cor,
but they always made it up again: so that years later,
when they were grown up
they were so used to quarreling and making it up again
that they got married so as to go on doing it more conveniently.”  
__________________


The Silver Chair: A Story for Children
by C.S. Lewis

“Tu-whoo! Ahem! Lord Regent," said the Owl,
stooping down a little and holding its beak near the Dwarf's ear.
"Heh? What's that?" said the Dwarf.
"Two strangers, my Lord," said the Owl.
"Rangers! What d'ye mean?" said the Dwarf. "I see two uncommonly grubby man-cubs.

What do they want?"
"My name's Jill," said Jill, pressing forward.

She was very eager to explain the important business on which they had come.
"The girl's called Jill," said the Owl, as loud as it could.
"What's that?" said the Dwarf. "The girls are all killed! I don't believe a word of it.
What girls? Who killed 'em?"
"Only one girl, my Lord," said the Owl. "Her name is Jill."
"Speak up, speak up," said the Dwarf. "Don't stand there buzzing and twittering in my ear.

Who's been killed?"
"Nobody's been killed," hooted the Owl.
"Who?"
"NOBODY."
"All right, all right. You needn't shout. I'm not so deaf as all that.

What do you mean by coming here to tell me that nobody's been killed?
Why should anyone have been killed?"
"Better tell him I'm Eustace," said Scrubb.
"The boy's Eustace, my Lord," hooted the Owl as loud as it could.
"Useless?" said the Dwarf irritably. "I dare say he is.

Is that any reason for bringing him to court? Hey?"
"Not useless," said the Owl. "EUSTACE."
"Used to it, is he? I don't know what you're talking about, I'm sure.

I'll tell you what it is, Master Glimfeather; when I was a young Dwarf there used to be talking beasts and birds in this country who really could talk.
There wasn't all this mumbling and muttering and whispering.
It wouldn't have been tolerated for a moment, Sir.
Urnus, my trumpet please-” 
-The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis 

1 comment:

  1. I am enjoying these blog posts so VERY MUCH, and hope you never stop. :) These two excerpts are favorites of mine too. (Time out......) your post accomplished just what every librarian wises! I took my copy of Silver Chair off the shelf and am completely absorbed in this rich story.
    "In the Dark Castle" and "Queen of Underland" are thrilling (Ch. XI and XII) and I am allowing myself to be in suspence as the Prince is bound to the chair and begins to rave.
    "I adjure you to set me free. By all fears and all loves, by the bright skies of Overland, by the Great Lion, by Aslan Himself..."
    Ahhhh. The BEST. Obedience to the true King of Kings.

    ReplyDelete